You might have heard me talking about these little treats across social media these last few days and as promised voila – Fudgy Vegan No -Bake Brownies with a Hint of Orange! The first batch I made was a Raw Salted Almond Brownie with Peanut Butter Frosting, but the frosting didn’t work out (dam coconut flour!) and the brownies were just a touch too gooey. Round 2 on the other hand – success! I had some mandarin oranges on the counter and figured chocolate + orange = delicious! Am I right? I think so.
You only need 6 ingredients for these simple raw and vegan treats and if you want to eat one for breakfast (like I just did) go ahead! They don’t have one little, itty bit of added sugar, just the absolutely amazing fruit that is the date. Now that I’m day #5 of raw food I’ve learned the foods I most definitely could not live without, and dates is one of them. Is it just me or are they like candy? I’d have to say bananas, almonds and chia seeds also make the list but then again when you’re eating raw and vegan pretty much every fruit, nut, seed and vegetable makes the list!
These brownies have no added sugar, plus they’re high in fibre, essential fatty acids, protein and healthy carbohydrates, making them an excellent pre-workout snack or treat anytime of day. Make a batch ahead of time, wrap individually and store in the fridge so you have an easy snack on hand all week! Enjoy!
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup soft dates
- ¼ cup raw cocoa
- 3 heaping tbsp almond butter
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender or food processor and mix well, you may need to stop and scrape down the sides a few times. Leave some chucks of almonds in there for some crunch.
- Place a piece of wax paper into a 7x7 square baking pan then press the mixture into the pan.
- Set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut into 12 squares and enjoy!
- Store any extras in the fridge in a container.
The almond butter should be fairly oily, not dry.
To make the orange zest, simple grate the peel of an orange until you have about 1 tsp.
If you don't like the orange, simple omit it - they're just delicious without it too!